Date: September 2014
September 28, 2014
September 21, 2014
- “Proof of Heaven”? – It seems unrealistic to expect that people who believe in heaven would reject “heaven is real” stories based on evidence… but it’d be nice if they at least considered it.
- Actually: You ARE the Customer, Not the Product
- Rain – I actually haven’t read The Feminine Mystique… putting it on my to-read list now (disclaimer: my to-read list is way long and even the “next” section has almost 100 books on it, so it may be a while).
- Point of Inquiry: Caitlin Doughty on the Death Industry’s Dirty Secrets –
- Radiolab: In The Dust Of This Planet
- Your Book is Not a Special Snowflake
- The Gathering Wind – Stina Leicht reviews the book documenting the sinking of The Bounty.
- the Little Red Reviewer on Hurricane Fever by Tobias S. Buckell –
- And another review of same at LA Review Of Books
- Factory Farming and the Meat Racket: Christopher Leonard on our Irrational Meat Industry
- Red-State Cities Find Euphemisms To Prepare for Global Warming – Interesting that “sustainability” and “resiliance” initiatives are okay, but only if they’re not in the name of “global warming” or “climate change.”
- Bomb Threat Targeted Anita Sarkeesian, Gaming Awards Last March – what the fuck. It’s okay to disagree with someone, to not like them; it’s not okay to respond with threats.
- The Most Important Thing to Learn About Sex in College Is How to Talk About It with the People You Have It With
- Bartender pens awesome open letter to hedge-fund bro who grabbed her ass
- Texas Woman Denied Driver’s License Over Same-Sex Marriage – Apparently the Texas Department of Public Safety has given itself the authority to determine whether your name that was legally changed in another state (and is federally recognized) is acceptable.
- Polyamorous Pacifists and Sentient Plant-monsters Collide in The Mirror Empire – I’m about 2/3 through this book right now, and it’s amazing.
- Talk Nerdy To Me Episode 29 – Kevin Folta
- Clarkesworld Podcast: Spring Festival: Happiness, Anger, Love, Sorrow, Joy – loved this story
September 14, 2014
September 7, 2014