Reminiscent of Hellboy, but not as fun.
- Why Calling Slaves ‘Workers’ Is More Than An Editing Error
- ‘Fanciful’? Meet Lawrence Lessig, The Candidate With A Single Issue
- More Than 100 Police Chiefs And Prosecutors Unite To Cut Prison Population
- An Industry of Worthless Acupuncture Studies
- Powerful Women in SF
- Checking Our Library Privilege
- ‘Becoming Nicole’ Recounts One Family’s Acceptance Of A Transgender Child
- Grant to Develop the Next Generation Wayback Machine
- Men, Women Do Not Run For You
- It’s Time to Free Lolita, a Puget Sound Killer Whale That’s Been Held Captive in Florida for 45 Years
- Christianity: Mystery Faith
- How ‘Crazy Ex Girlfriend’ Is Reclaiming The Crazy Woman Trope
Part two of a six-part series on GamerGate; this one also had broader applicability for me. Stina Leicht compiled the full series here.
- Sharp Introduces The RoBoHon, A Robot That Is Also A Smartphone – Adorable robot is totes adorbs.
- The big problem with blaming Obama and Black Lives Matter for killings of police officers
- Sexual Harassment Case Shines Light On Science’s Dark Secret
- Why Do I Make Less Than My Male Co‑Stars?
- The Least Effective Book Ban Ever
- Indy woman uses medieval combat training, sword to stop intruder
- “A Writing Life” (speech by Johanna Sinisalo)
Over the top turning to emotionally touching.
- Rocket Talk Episode 65: Amal El-Mohtar and Kameron Hurley – Looking at The Traitor Baru Cormorant to discuss “how has social media and online book discussion impacted how we engage one another in dialogue about the things we love?”
- Peeple’s rise and immediate fall – I found myself generally agreeing with the GeekNights guys on this (both listening to the episode and when Peeple was in the news cycle). When most people seemed to be outraged that anyone would even consider “reviewing” people, I kept thinking about the missing stair (tw: sexual assault, rape). Wouldn’t it be great to have a tool that could flag abusers & rapists, or (on the other hand) let you know who has great tips for restaurants or interesting thoughts on the philosophies of Breaking Bad and Battlestar Galactica? Sites like this are probably inevitable; we need to make sure the ones that succeed have built-in guards against harassment and bullying while preserving their usefulness.
(Not sure what it says about me that I fully support selfies but strongly dislike the Selfie Stick)
- This We Do Know About TPP: The Shouting Is Already Loud
- Climate Change Is Not Our Fault – Interesting shift of perspective: “we made a mistake and now we need to fix it.”
- Meet Mozzified, A Site For Ramadan Recipes, Sharia Memes And Nosy-Auntie Jokes
- Sex Nerd Sandra #200: Sex Outside The Lines With Chris Donaghue!
- You Are Not Your Job: Identity and Impostor Syndrome
- Soliciting Performance, Hiding Bias: Whiteness and Librarianship
- ACLU Sues Benton County, Wash., For Operating ‘Modern-Day Debtors Prison’
- California Approves A Sweeping Digital Privacy Law
- In A First, Border Agent Indicted For Killing Mexican Teen Across Fence