- Black Actress To Play Hermione In Harry Potter Play – To quote J.K. Rowling, “Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione”
- Congratulations, You’ve Been Cast In Star Wars! Will You Ever Work Again?
- High hepatitis C rate leads to needle exchange in Monroe County – I don’t get you, Governor Pence. If there’s enough evidence to support needle exchanges as curative measures (and there is), why don’t you let them run all the time as preventative measures?
- Native lawyer takes on tribes that kick members out
- SpaceX Rocket Successfully Lands After Launching Satellites – The video is very exciting – stage 1 lands at about the 32 minute mark.
- Wind Power Continues Steady Growth Across The U.S.
- Social media news consumers at higher risk of ‘information bubbles,’ IU study says
Apparently somebody made a set of “gotcha” questions for Christians to use to convince atheists that their position is flawed and they should actually be Christian (presumably of the uptight evangelical variety). Atheist YouTuber Steve Shives went through and answered all 31 questions. I enjoyed watching the videos the last couple nights, and thought I’d share.
Beyond the scaremongering headlines, a look at the actual data and actual facts (and explanation of what we *don’t* know). Mental health medication and ASD are both issues close to me, and I found this very helpful.
- North Carolina citizenry defeat pernicious Big Solar plan to suck up the Sun – The people speaking against solar presented a case so nonfactual (and apparently including outright lies), I can only assume they were motivated by factors other than evidence…
- In A Solar System Really Close By, ‘The Expanse’ Comes To TV
- No Longer Just A Toy: Regulators Say Drone Operators Are Pilots – Is this a good (nay, great) idea? I think so. I can’t help wondering how many people will refuse to register, though, citing their freedoms and dearly held beliefs.
- Accused Planned Parenthood Shooter: ‘I’m A Warrior For The Babies’ – This man is every bit as much a terrorist as the San Bernardino shooters. Using the label for one event and not the other (looking at you, Republican presidential candidates) is straight-up racist.
- Related: Some American Muslims Irritated By Obama’s Call For Them To ‘Root Out’ Extremism – where are the calls for other ideological groups to monitor their own fringe elements for radicalism? Why do we respond to white shooters with “no one could have seen this coming” and brown shooters with “one of those people should have said something?”
- The radicalism is coming from inside the library – On the necessity of bringing a feminist agenda to library administration.
- Much Of The World Perplexed That Climate Debate Continues In U.S. – A lot of U.S. climate policy seems to be affected by arguments like “we can’t change because it would affect coal mining jobs,” which rely on the unspoken belief that long-term consequences for not changing simply do not exist (especially if changing is hard).
- Painfully related: Is This Congressman’s ‘Oversight’ An Effort To Hobble Climate Science?
Great quote around the 40min mark: “There is no war on Christmas; there is a fight to end Christian privilege in this country.”
- What’s it like living with mental illness? Ask Wil Wheaton. – More on this topic: I recently watched an episode of RocketJump where the director (Ashly Burch) opened up about how she deals with anxiety.
- In the Land of the Blind – On the problems of vigilante heroes.
- To Know the True Meaning Of Solar Energy, Ask A Powerless Rice Farmer
- PseudoPod 466: Bad Newes from New England – Some traditional Thanksgiving zombie horror.
- How different are men’s and women’s brains? Not as much as we may think
- ‘Political correctness’ doesn’t hinder free speech – it expands it
- PubMed and PubMed Central Add New Filters to Limit Results to Only Creative Commons Licensed Materials
“… the success rate for AA is between 5 and 8 percent.”
- Trigger warnings for rape, sexual assault, gaslighting: What Rape Apologists Need to Learn From Jessica Jones & Jessica Jones is a Primer on Gaslighting, and How to Protect Yourself Against It – In some ways Jessica Jones was a hard show to watch, and it’s not for everyone. But its message is important.
- New-Age Bullshit Generator – This one’s just for fun. bc after the news the last few weeks…
- The Cost of “Doing More With Less” – When we demand more services while refusing to raise taxes, something’s gotta give. Usually justice.
- A Tally Of Mass Shootings In The U.S. & The San Bernardino shooting is the second mass shooting today and the 355th this year
- People Complaining That The Wiz Has An All-Black Cast Know Nothing About Musical Theatre
- Access to the World
- NASA Uses Lessons From Space To Design An Efficient Building
- Facing Rising Waters, A Native Tribe Takes Its Plea To Paris Climate Talks
- A New Way to Resolve Book Challenges – Linking for the quote “Everyone of good sense recognizes that not all books are appropriate for all ages. That’s why we don’t assign fan fiction porn reading to third graders. That and it’s terribly written.”
- Here’s What Your Part Of America Eats On Thanksgiving – Macaroni & cheese for Thanksgiving? Really, that’s a thing?