Very important message, not a 1:1 allegory.
- From Library Fines to Jail Time
- Adding Jesus to a Seder dinner? Not kosher.
- Vanessa Bayer’s Faith in (a Very Heterosexual) God Is on Trial in This New SNL Trailer – Probably the best way to respond to movies like God’s Not Dead.
- Every semi-competent male hero has a more talented female sidekick. Why isn’t she the hero instead?
- Remakes, reimagining and revolt
- Not So Far-Fetched: How Cats And Dogs Can Use Gadgets You Already Own – Linking for the most delightful cat video I’ve seen.
- ‘Anyone Can Die?’ TV’s Recent Death Toll Says Otherwise
- A Point-By-Point Response To BuzzFeed’s Questions For Black People
- New Survey Debunks The Myth Of Black Homophobia
- Microsoft Sues Justice Department to Protest Electronic Gag Order Statute
I agree wholeheartedly with this video… I’d heard some good things about the game and bought it, and it’s very uncomfortable to play if you think about it much. Part of my brain kept saying “you paid for this, you might as well finish it,” but after a few hours I gave up and deleted it. I kept feeling like I was playing the “hero” that the Oregon wildlife preserve terrorists thought they were.
- A Universal Basic Income Is the Utopia We Deserve
- For kids raised in stable families, no difference in well-being with same-sex versus different-sex parents
- Adapting To A More Extreme Climate, Coastal Cities Get Creative
- Bible As Official State Book? Tennessee’s Governor Vetoes Bill – Follow-up to a link from last week.
- Why Do So Many Americans Think They Have Cherokee Blood? – The article is the long version of the answer; the short version is “appropriation.”
- Why Does Hollywood Keep Disrespecting Melissa McCarthy?
- Periods As Protest: Indiana Women Call Governor To Talk About Menstrual Cycles –
“Fertilized eggs can be expelled during a woman’s period without a woman even knowing that she might have had the potential blastocyst in her. Therefore, any period could potentially be a miscarriage without knowledge. I would certainly hate for any of my fellow Hoosier women to be at risk of penalty if they do not ‘properly dispose’ of this or report it. Just to cover our bases, perhaps we should make sure to contact Governor Pence’s office to report our periods. We wouldn’t want him thinking that THOUSANDS OF HOOSIER WOMEN A DAY are trying to hide anything, would we?”
- Tully: Pence’s attack on women’s rights, and on Indiana
- Bible Could Become An Official State Symbol, As Tennessee Approves Bill – This should make for an interesting Supreme Court case.
- 9-year-old reporter breaks crime news, posts videos, fires back at critics & “Yes, I’m a nine-year-old girl. But I’m still a serious reporter” –
I want to be taken seriously. I’m sure other kids do, too. Grownups usually treat kids like they cannot do anything great. If adults don’t think we can do something, then it is hard for us to believe that we can. And then how will we have great things in this world?
- At least 200 protesters take over UW meeting on race relations
- ACLU investigating Mills High showing of ‘Passion of the Christ,’ teacher’s classroom rant about ‘liberalism’ after complaints
This week’s theme: for people who are used to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
- Indiana Lawmaker Introduces ‘Pay To Pee’ Bill For Transgender People – Tomes manages to invoke both “we’ve always done it this way” and “but I’m comfortable with the status quo” at the same time in this quote:
“Shouldn’t we also ask about…what about the other sector of society of people that who have all through the decades women been using women’s restrooms and men been using men’s restrooms and kind of like that and kind of expect that level of privacy?”
- Related: Trans Man Finds Brilliant Way To Let Women Know Why He’s Using Their Restroom – You’d think conservative Tomes (previous story) would consider the level of discomfort caused by requiring men and women to use the wrong restroom. (I’d also hope a representative of the people would consider the level of physical risk he’s subjecting men and women to, since trans panic is a very real threat to this marginalized group. But we already know Tomes doesn’t give a shit about them.)
- Related: The Goal of ‘Bathroom Bills’ Is to Criminalize Being Trans
- Persecute Me, Please: God’s Not Dead 2 and the Evangelical Lust for Victimhood – I’ll say this for GND2 – if you’re gonna have an evil lawyer whose motivations don’t need to make sense as long as their every word drips evil, Ray Wise is perfect casting.
- The AI in the Tight Dress – Most of the news coverage of this story treated it as a joke, rather than looking at what this says about society.
- These three go together: It’s My Struggle–Give Me Space ; Why Your Space ≠ My Space ; Sometimes, Intersectionality Means You STFU
- Hamilton Criticized Over Casting Notice for “Non-White” Performers – I’ve got only very slightly mixed feelings on this one. Given the message of the play and the overall context of Broadway’s casting history, I definitely don’t think the producers/casting directors are in the wrong. But I’m not a lawyer and I’m not familiar with the specific law, so it might be that the casting notice does violate the letter of the law. If so, well, there’s a long history of non-specific notices resulting in all-white casts. I’d be just fine in that being reversed.
- Ranks of kill-the-bus crusade swelling for $485 million Gold Line – Opposition to public transit becomes pretty blatantly racist & classist.
- Zootopia: Yes, Disney Made a Movie About White Supremacy and the War on Drugs
- ‘Prison Break’ star responds to body-shaming: ‘I was suicidal’ – Very proud of Wentworth Miller’s response. (Also his new show Legends Of Tomorrow is awesome & you should watch it)
- Follow the money: Apple vs. the FBI – An interesting theory about why Apple may be becoming more motivated to fight for privacy and encryption.
- Fact Check: Hillary Clinton And Donations From Fossil Fuel Industries
- Time to close the TSA