- Can the mind really heal the body? The false narrative of placebo “healing” revisited – ‘Betteridge’s law of headlines is one name for an adage that states: “Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.”‘
- Perchance it’s white feminism? – No, Kellyanne Conway is not a feminist icon.
- Smarter Elections 2016: Approval Versus Plurality – Aside from dismantling the electoral college, there are many ways we could have elections that better reflect the will of the people.
- North Carolina is no longer classified as a democracy
- Weeks after Carrier deal, Trump ignores Indiana factory relocating to Mexico
- 150 Filmmakers Ask Nikon and Canon to Sell Encrypted Cameras
- How a Pandemic Might Play Out Under Trump
- Evangelical Leader Under Attack For Criticizing Trump Supporters – They hired him to run the “Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission” – to hold them accountable and confront them for ethical breaches. Now they are pissed off that he did. I am shocked – shocked – to find hypocrisy in church leadership.
- Children can ‘catch’ social bias through non-verbal signals expressed by adults – “Kids are picking up on more than we think they are, and you don’t have to tell them that one group is better than another group for them to be getting that message from how we act.” – Gender norms, racism, consent… children are constantly observing and developing mental models of how the world works. It’s our fault that they’re getting it wrong.
- Conservative Legislators Are Trying to Pass a State-Sanctioned Discrimination Act
…which changed my perspective on the second half of the book. As fun as R1 was, it doesn’t hold a candle to Rapture. The male cast of R1 could have played the men in Rapture, but Hurley’s cast actually has a multitude of non-white female characters (something R1 lacks, despite its diversity relative to the rest of Star Wars). Intersectional feminism is actually discussed by one of the characters, and the plot and character motivation is much stronger than R1’s.
All that to say, if you like awesome sci-fi you should check out this series.
- Donald Trump Is Gaslighting America
- Department Of Energy Defies Trump, Won’t Name Climate Change Workers
- President-Elect Trump Breaks With Long History Of Press Conferences
- Donald Trump’s Denial About Russia
- The inexplicable prosecution — and vindication — of Ray Rosas
- This Just In: Abortion Doesn’t Automatically Traumatize Women for Life
- North Carolina governor signs laws restricting successor’s power – Regardless of your party affiliation, you should find this behaviour by North Carolina’s GOP despicable.
- We still Need Better Communication on GMOs
- Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope.
- The Untold History Of Eagle Huntresses – This article has the most badass photo I saw this week. And it’s responding to a documentary that willfully misrepresents the history of eagle huntresses (and falsely represents cultures as misogynist in the same way America is).
- Remember that time the president-elect verifiably lied about what he got for paying off a company (with Indiana taxpayers’ money) and then struck up a vendetta against the union leader who told the truth (which led to death threats from Trump-holes)? And still said union leader held his ground, because FACTS
- The Supreme Court hears two cases today that could entrench Republican rule for a generation
- Emboldened Republicans push state-level voting restrictions –
“We shouldn’t audit or recount because there was no voter fraud.” – Republicans
“Voter fraud is so rampant that the only way to stop is by restricting voting rights” – Also Republicans
(“There was tons of voter fraud but only in states that I lost” – the Republican president-elect)
- Don’t Stop Arguing, Complaining And Fighting For ‘Identity Politics’
- Military-Trained Police May Be Less Hasty To Shoot, But That Got This Vet Fired
- No more podium girls at Tour Down Under
- The Right and Wrong Ways to Regulate Self-Driving Cars
- Paving the way for transgender cyclists: The story of Jillian Bearden
- Despite Evacuation Orders, Pipeline Protesters Hunker Down For Winter – #NoDAPL
- Does What Happened to This Journalist at the US-Canada Border Herald a Darker Trend?
- For Tattoo Artists, Race Is In The Mix When Ink Meets Skin – Something I’d not considered before, but will keep in mind for the future.
- The Internet Archive is building a Canadian copy to protect itself from Trump – Data protection is one of the very few occasions I agree with fleeing to Canada.
- Harvesting Government History, One Web Page at a Time
- Women Could Pay More Than Men For Health Care Under Trump
- Veterans Find Healing through the Arts – via author/veteran Myke Cole