Remember this anger and fear. Realize that Donnie & his pack are the abusers, but we need to fix the system that enabled this. Stay angry.
Nationwide popular vote for POTUS.
Electoral reform to break the two-party system.
Automatic voter registration & vote by mail (or other ways to combat voter suppression)
Amendment to overturn Citizens United.
These will be harder to fight for than things like health care, bc there's no immediate & concrete reward, no Donnie to rally against.
Once we get rid of this bogeyman, we need to seal the fucking door they came through.
[From a series of tweets I posted at 3:30 in the morning]
- In Clash Over Health Bill, a Growing Fear of ‘Junk Insurance’ – Required coverages were one of the biggest benefits of Obamacare. It’s the difference between health insurance that can keep you alive and out of bankruptcy and a contract where you give money to a corporation and never get anything in return.
- A Federal Appeals Court Just Shot Down Government Prayer on Steroids in North Carolina
- Tourism officials suspend $18 million incentive for Noah’s Ark site over property transfer – Kentucky is finally calling Ken Ham on (some of) his lies, and I for one could not be happier.
- A brief history of DARE, the anti-drug program Jeff Sessions wants to revive – Those darn liberals, wanting to have evidence-based drug- and sex-education.
- (Why) The Resistance is Losing
It’s fine to think a corporation is evil, but that opinion should be based in reality and not propaganda.
- A Guide to the Social Factors That Put Transgender Lives at Risk – When you like the hand you’ve been dealt, empathy for others takes deliberate awareness and conscious effort.
- Pod Save The People: Behind the Vote
- How Netflix’s GLOW Takes a Straightforward Approach to Abortion – Spoilers for s1 of Glow, of course.
- Why I Won’t Raise My Son In Illinois – I’m not a parent and have no plans to be, but this is a good reminder of some of challenges facing my new home state (most of them of our own doing).
- What happened when Walmart left
- Vote Fraud Commission Releases Public Comments, Email Addresses And All – Gee, why wouldn’t we trust the commission with actual voter rolls?
- A New Generation Overthrows Gender – One of my favorite things about the internet is kids (and adults) finding community & support when they don’t fit the prescribed norms for things like gender, sexuality, or religion.
- “Ninefox Gambit” and Gender and Sexuality in the Hexarchate – Ninefox Gambit was one of my top-two books from last year, and I can’t wait to start reading the sequel.
- The Narrative Spectrum -Human consciousness functions as jumped-up pattern recognition (the brain assigning narrative to its own functions), & Malka Older has been talking about how that pattern recognitions works (& fails) in modern information flows. Also you should check out her book Infomocracy, it’s the other of my top-two books from 2016.
Best analysis I’ve heard is about 2/3 through – trademarking a slur you’re trying to reclaim legally prevents the rest of your demographic from working to reclaim it with you.
- Hobby Lobby fined $3 million for smuggled Iraqi artifacts – Much like Ken Ham, jerks using their religion to justify whatever they want to do continue to be jerks. Also, notice their justification – it boils down to “despite legal experts telling us it was a bad idea and probably illegal, we didn’t know any better!” Sound like any other prominent reactionaries in 2017?
- To Prepare For Mars Settlement, Simulated Missions Explore Utah’s Desert –
- Laugh of the week.
This is also the official GOP position on women’s bodies pic.twitter.com/i0ouwUPV4h
— Lauren Duca (@laurenduca) July 7, 2017