- Starting with something positive: P!nk’s beautiful new music video
- Boyfriend’s betrayal: ABQ woman jailed after ATF informant lured her into drug deals – This is entrapment, pure and evil.
- Joss Whedon was never a feminist (tw: emotional abuse)- See also a Twitter thread on what was (and wasn’t) wrong about his behavior and a post at The Mary Sue about how his response is textbook abuser behavior.
i already knew our president is a hateful racist misogynist homophobic transphobic white-supremacist asshole, but i was not expecting him to take both actions after the end of business on the same day.
i wish i had a positive note to end on.
- Torches Replaced By Candlelight As Thousands Gather For Charlottesville Vigil – In case you were thinking that Nazis and KKK white supremacists are just part of a “many sides” problem, here’s what it looks like when they’re absent.
- In Charlottesville, the Local Jewish Community Presses On
(It’s an audio podcast, no need to keep the YouTube window up front)
- The First Actor with Autism to Play Curious Incident’s Autistic Lead Speaks Out
- Republicans limiting early voting in Marion County, letting it bloom in suburbs – Having grown up in Hamilton County and still visiting there regularly, I can 100% attest that logistics, population, and demand are not an explanation for why HC would have more early voting places than Marion County. Care to guess what the actual reasons are?
- Statelessness is a Problem We Created, and One We Can Solve
- A Open Letter to All My Bullshit Relatives Cheering on My Impending Death – Why liberals are so upset about congressional Republicans approaching healthcare as “we just need a win” or “this will show those liberal snowflakes!”
- EFF Report: Who Has Your Back? Government Data Requests 2017
STILL! When I went to talk w Microsoft/@CoalitionGears I said – I just want representation to happen even if they get it wrong to start with
— cherry, 🚀 (@cherryrae) August 4, 2017
After a very rough weekend, yesterday and today have been strange. I don’t think I’ve had this particular feeling about a terror attack in the US since 9/11 (on Sunday I linked to the SPLC’s donations page and I’m doing it again here).
I’ve had an on-again/off-again relationship with Twitter over the years. I jumped in before it was cool, took some time off when I was using Tumblr more, and have been back at it for a while. Lately I’ve been trying to split between Twitter and Mastodon, since while birdsite has a lot of people whose feeds I like to follow, it is also a cesspit of hate and harassment. I was wishing that people would move away from it, onto sites with better enforcement of their TOS and harassment policies.
This weekend spiked something for me. For Saturday and most of Sunday I was pretty f*cked up by the events in meatspace, by knowing the role Twitter played, and the response I fully expected to see when I signed in Saturday night (and was relieved not to). Since then I haven’t Tweeted or Tooted, and have only opened birdsite a handful of times to check for notifications. I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to still follow updates from some people and stay connected with acquaintances, without getting messed up and spiraling again. The itch to tweet something keeps coming up, but for the time being it looks like the blog will be getting more love.
Southern Poverty Law Center donations page From their About Us: “The SPLC is the premier U.S. non-profit organization monitoring the activities of domestic hate groups and other extremists” – including the KKK and Nazi terrorists.