- Starting with something positive: P!nk’s beautiful new music video
- Boyfriend’s betrayal: ABQ woman jailed after ATF informant lured her into drug deals – This is entrapment, pure and evil.
- Joss Whedon was never a feminist (tw: emotional abuse)- See also a Twitter thread on what was (and wasn’t) wrong about his behavior and a post at The Mary Sue about how his response is textbook abuser behavior.
- Torches Replaced By Candlelight As Thousands Gather For Charlottesville Vigil – In case you were thinking that Nazis and KKK white supremacists are just part of a “many sides” problem, here’s what it looks like when they’re absent.
- In Charlottesville, the Local Jewish Community Presses On
(It’s an audio podcast, no need to keep the YouTube window up front)
- The First Actor with Autism to Play Curious Incident’s Autistic Lead Speaks Out
- Republicans limiting early voting in Marion County, letting it bloom in suburbs – Having grown up in Hamilton County and still visiting there regularly, I can 100% attest that logistics, population, and demand are not an explanation for why HC would have more early voting places than Marion County. Care to guess what the actual reasons are?
- Statelessness is a Problem We Created, and One We Can Solve
- A Open Letter to All My Bullshit Relatives Cheering on My Impending Death – Why liberals are so upset about congressional Republicans approaching healthcare as “we just need a win” or “this will show those liberal snowflakes!”
- EFF Report: Who Has Your Back? Government Data Requests 2017
STILL! When I went to talk w Microsoft/@CoalitionGears I said – I just want representation to happen even if they get it wrong to start with
— cherry, 🚀 (@cherryrae) August 4, 2017
Southern Poverty Law Center donations page From their About Us: “The SPLC is the premier U.S. non-profit organization monitoring the activities of domestic hate groups and other extremists” – including the KKK and Nazi terrorists.
- The New Atheism is dead. Long live atheism. – I really hope the term “Social Justice Atheist” catches on. (The article at Salon linked near the end of this post is much longer, but a powerful and painful read.)
- Virtuoso Action Director Lexi Alexander Fights Back Against Hollywood – I love Lexi Alexander’s twitter feed, and this weekend finally watched Punisher: War Zone (it’s been on my list for years). While some parts of the movie are a mess (my gut tells me that the silly pointless parkour was put in bc a studio exec kept insisting “parkour is cool, we need to do this!” which makes its explosive deconstruction all the better), after reading about the production hell it went through what’s amazing is how good it still is – and the action sequences are spectacular. The Raid and Dredd came out a couple years later, and both owe a huge creative debt to War Zone’s third act.
- Couple Settle Landmark Lawsuit Against Hospital For Performing Surgery On Their Intersex Son – Intersex children are particularly vulnerable, and the things we (as a society) do to them are horrific.
- Senator Cory Booker Introduces Marijuana Legalization Bill, focused on Racial Justice – Whatever you think about drug policy on paper, you have to work hard to deny the evidence that it’s been implemented along horrific and racist lines. De-criminalization without restoration (like we’ve seen in WA and other states) only addresses a small part of the problem.
- How to Use Signal Without Giving Out Your Phone Number: A Gendered Security Issue